Sunday 14 January 2018

Family Time

Well taking the trend of my 'simple pleasures' series forward where I would write about the books I have been reading or the movies I have been watching or anything that adds to contentment, here is another. 

This December 30th I turned a year older, I am now in my thirties and the years just pass by like days. I have also completed more than ten years at work and I already feel like retiring. 



This December 30th I thought of spending only with my family. So, I got up quite early in the morning, got ready and put on my new dress. The dress that I had meticulously chosen from central, one of the malls I always hang out in the weekend. The colour was a bright yellow with golden work on it. I had hesitated to buy it but a  friend had insisted that I try bright colour. Putting that on I felt like eighteen again! Now the restaurants in Bhubaneswar keep changing, there was this place called 'Blue Berry' that sold many nice grills and I used to go there with my friends on Wednesdays and Fridays, the days when they had non veg. We relished Mexican grilled chicken sizzler, the seafood sizzler and the exotic prawn sizzler. However one fine day the restaurant completely shut down though it's sister restaurant called 'Wild Berrys' is still open about three kilometers away from it in the other side of our office. The new restaurant that has come up in it's place is called 'Go South'. A pure vegetarian one with all kinds of dosas and South Indian Thalis. I have tried the thalis twice and it is not bad. Since it's vegetarian, people go there on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays because those are the days people usually have veg here. In Bhubaneswar there are days for veg and non veg and there are restaurants to go accordingly!

My mother insists that we have vegetarian on birthdays because that is kind of auspicious. So, I planned to take my family comprising  of my parents, my maternal uncle and aunty to the all veg restaurant 'Go South'. Not so sure if they enjoyed but like a typical middle class family they were terribly worried about the bill even if I was paying. So, after a decent meal and decent bill we set out for twin city Cuttack, our ancestral place. My younger cousin brother was more than happy to see me. My aunty had carried a lot of cakes and chocolates with her which he relished. There was no typical candle lighting or cake cutting ceremony but my grandmother and my aunty each gave me a five hundred rupees note. I felt as if I was ten years old again ! Actually I always feel that every time I go to my ancestral place. My granny is about to be eighty years old and growing weaker but she is delightful. I still love talking to her and had an amazing time. After spending the whole afternoon there we went to the Chandi temple in Cuttack, where my mother and aunty were lost offering prayers and then finally we returned back to Bhubaneswar.

It was a day well spent with my family and worthy to be remembered because sometimes in the hassle of the job life and the outings with friends we often forget our aged relatives who won't be around always and do need our time.   



Please like my page on facebook "Click Here" 




No comments:

Post a Comment