Sunday 21 June 2015

Together We Perform

When I passed college and joined the corporate little did I know that my technical skills are not enough. I thought a cup of coffee and a cosy seat was all that I needed. But gradually I learnt that it's all about working together and performing as a team that matters the most. Right from the initial training program we were taught how to break the ice among us. I remember this exercise conducted by our learning coordinator where we were asked to describe ourselves in a paper rocket and blow it off in the class. The person who gets it had to figure out whose rocket it was and try to learn more about the owner. So, each one of us got someone's rocket and each one of us created a rocket, that way we were no longer strangers to at least a handful of people. Never less we enjoyed the fun filled session. Few days after we were asked to enact a skit and I had all these ideas bubbling out but my team which was built by the instructor, had their own thoughts too. The first thing I had to do was listening to them, the next step was to convey my ideas and the third was to decide on the plot. I saw that when I started listening they were all ears to me too and we worked together to build the script. With the right communication and right planning the skit happened to be the best among all teams. That was perhaps my first lesson at corporate that work is about growing together and making use of each other’s strength.




Few weeks back I was watching the movie "The Imitation Game" when it all came back to me. Though Alan Turing was a brilliant cryptanalyst it was only when he became a decent team player they could successfully break the Nazi codes. It's the team that matters and who says there has to be a strict line between work and fun or colleagues and friends. Sometimes your team becomes your extended family and I have friends who have actually found their soul mates at office. Back at engineering I had read how a group of people need to do the decision making. This is because everyone has their own approach, so some people can see what the others can't. That's why if we need to analyze a problem from all aspects we need to work in a team where everyone's opinion matters. Not only work, life is all about learning and sharing, about growing and making others grow. We may not be prefect on our own but if we are in a diverse team where anybody can voice their opinion and express candour we can definitely near perfection. So, no matter what it is only together we perform and the togetherness can actually work wonders.

No comments:

Post a Comment